I'm a sucker for save-the-Earth tips that can apply to our everyday lives. Waste Management was nice enough to send me some just in time for Halloween.
The recycling company released a video and instruction packet to make a truck costume and a safety pledge with fun activities. As the days get shorter, it’s important that kids stay visible and keep a safe distance when trucks are in motion.
- Give eco-friendly treats. Local organic groceries and health food stores offer a wide range of candy from organic chocolates to organic lollipops. These tasty treats are produced using methods that are not damaging to the environment.
- Use recyclable bags for your trick-or-treaters. A fun family activity is to create a unique trick-or-treat basket, or simply put a reusable bag to good use. If you use a traditional plastic jack-o-lantern container, be sure to store and save it for future years.
- Walk instead of drive. Rather than drive to other neighborhoods, stay close to home and trick-or-treat in your neighborhood. By walking from house to house you are reducing fuel consumption and air pollution.
- Throw a green Halloween party. Purchase organic pumpkins for carving and apples for bobbing. Consider using leftover apples and pumpkins for pies, soups and other tasty dishes. Use regular plates, cups and silverware versus disposable materials that end up in the trash.
- Reuse and recycle: Now is a great time to start composting. Halloween jack-o-lanterns, food scraps, and other organic, biodegradable yard and household waste are perfect items to get your compost bin started.
- Help keep neighborhoods clean while trick-or-treating. Carry an extra reusable bag and pick up litter along the way. Candy wrappers can be a big source of litter on local streets during Halloween.
Halloween in Kirkland is always fun for the little ones! Sunday Oct 30th 2-4pm and Mon Oct 31st 3-6pm participating merchants in downtown Kirkland will be welcoming trick-or-treaters. Those under 10 must be accompanied by an adult. Thanks to the KDA for organizing.