photo credit: Google
The results are in! The KITE STEM Challenge awarded over $40,000 to 15 schools in the Lake Washington School District last week that will go towards increasing STEM programming. Over 3,000 students participated and answered 300,000+ STEM-related questions between April 23rd and May 13th. Big applause to all of the schools who participated and kudos to Google and the Kirkland Parks Foundation partnering up to offer this educational application wrapped in park-filled fun. Here are the winning schools (way to go Kirkland!)
- First place high school ($10,000) - Redmond High School
- Second place high school ($5,000) - Lake Washington High School
- Third place high school ($3,000) - Tesla STEM High School
- First place middle school ($6,000) - Kirkland Middle School
- Second place middle school ($3,000) - Environmental and Adventure School
- Third place middle school ($2,000) - Redmond Middle School
- First place elementary schools ($3,000 each) - Kirk Elementary & Thoreau Elementary
- Second place elementary schools ($1,500 each) - Rose Hill Elementary & Twain Elementary
- Third place elementary schools ($1,000 each) - Alcott Elementary & Lakeview Elementary
- Participation prize ($500 each) - Blackwell Elementary, Juanita Elementary & Stella Schola Middle School
photo credit: Sheryl Vincent
In other Kirkland butt-kicking news, the 10U LW baseball team won 1st place in the Art Wright Memorial tournament. Way to go boys!
Clapping is also required for Asuraphong Liengboonlertchai, owner of Simplicity 1-2-3 better known as "A", whose giant smile and kind heart will be missed. He just sold his business but before you start crying you should know that you will still see him at Hallmark Realty, and that an employee bought his store and will continue to serve our community. Here is his announcement, which I completely love because you can almost hear his voice as you read it. I stopped in to give him some extra hugs today because this person is truly a gift to Kirkland- stay tuned for a write up on our conversation from today.
And....when one of my advertisers is having a party, you need to know. I clap for free fun. Grab a friend and go little ones! Neal Smiles Orthodontics is doing their summer celebration on June 27th from 3-5pm with a bouncy house, reptile man, coffee stand and an ice cream truck. 9750 NE 120th Place, Suite 5/6. 425-823-1234