The hot topics this week seem to be trending in Houghton, starting with the tragic closure of Menchie's Froyo in Houghton Plaza. They wrote a farewell note on Facebook and encouraged us all to come in one last time before they close this Thursday (open 11-8 each day until then). I hope they have my fave coconut flavor and the little dark chocolate chips this week.
A little further up the street, we have the controversial La Quinta Inn being purchased by King County and turned into permanent supportive housing. Our City Manager, Kurt Triplett, has issued a letter to clarify the city's intent, which is to be a good neighbor in the continuum of care for people experiencing homelessness. There is also a page with more details about the project here. And some colorful community debate in public forums along with a little protest planned for Weds.
And if all of that stresses you out and you'd prefer to focus on some fun....families on the Eastside (and beyond) are invited to celebrate the Lunar New Year at Kirkland Urban!
Friday, Feb. 11 from 6-8 p.m, come by the Kirkland Urban Plaza to celebrate the Year of the Tiger.
This FREE Lunar New Year celebration will feature:
- Lion and dragon dances at 6, 7 and 7:30 p.m., performed by Mak Fai Lion Dance
- A traditional Vietnamese Fan dance at 6:30 p.m.
- A whimsical lantern display designed by Top Knotch Events
- Calligraphy by Mak Fai Lion Dance
- The Year of the Tiger surprise ball giveaways by Wheelhouse promotions
- Special moments captured by Passion In Movement Videography and Dakota Elizabeth